Fell's Point was first purchased in 1726 by Admiral William Fell, an English Quaker. The town was originally founded in 1763 as a separate port community, but annexed to Baltimore in 1773. It was historically a shipbuilding and trading port and became the primary port for Maryland’s agricultural exports.
The streets are named after British places and people. Its row houses predate the civil war and were originally built to house port workers. Fell’s Point was also home to seamen, sailmakers, merchants and sea captains.
Point continued to be a vital, thriving port into the 20th century because
of its deep water docks.
The freight railroad tracks (not streetcar tracks) which run down its cobblestone streets remained in use until the beginning of 1983.
Over the later part of the 20th century, the district was gradually transformed from a gritty marine-industrial community into a upscale residential and commercial neighborhood. Fell’s Point now attracts both locals and tourists with its many trendy shops, art galleries, taverns, and restaurants.