leftover promise on this former drugstore window has not been fulfilled for decades.
in Mora County, on US Interstate 25, exit 387, 103 miles east of Santa Fe and
74 miles south of the Colorado border, the village of Wagon Mound was settled
in 1850 by cattlemen, who were attracted to the rich pastures of the region. It
became a central trading post and later was a shipping point for wool, sheep and
Apache tribe once lived in the area. They were followed by Spanish settlers, who
introduced farming, horses and Christianity.
called Santa Clara,it was renamed in 1859 in recognition of the covered wagon
shaped rock formation that backdrops the town.
formation had long been a landmark on the Santa Fe Trail, identifying the point
where the Cimarron Cutoff rejoined the main branch of the Trail. At Wagon Mound,
travelers could cross from the Cimarron Cutoff to Fort Union.
Wagon Mound is still a farming and ranching community. Every September, the village
holds an annual celebration with a parade and street carnival - which dates back
to when the area was prominent for its pinto bean harvest. The first "Bean
Day" was held in 1910. Beans, however are no longer produced in the area.
Mound is seen in the
background, behind the
Chili Enchiladas are standard fare at the local cafe.
is really the
Wagon Mound Cafe.
Hollyhocks abound in
Northern New Mexico